I used to HATE broccoli. Then I got married to a man who loves broccoli. (Which by the way is one of the few vegetables really likes, haha.) So, I developed a taste for them, and eventually liked them. I then discovered broccoli and cheese together and fell madly in love. haha. Thus this recipe is a staple in the Gaines house hold. This recipe claims to be a Panera Bread copy cat recipe, which I do think it is, but Josh and I like to make it not as smooth as Panera does. So, here is my alteration.
Broccoli Cheese Soup | Delish Dish 8
Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 55 minutes Serves: 4 people
- 1/2 medium onion
- 1 tbps butter
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups half and half (or 1 cup half and half 1 cup skim milk)
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 pound fresh broccoli florets (or a pound of regular broccoli with the stem cut off)
- 4-5 carrots
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 8oz grated cheddar cheese
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- (optional) 4 Medium french round bread. (I usually get the loafs from Whole foods, they are about $.129 each)
- Prep all your veggies. Chop onion into small pieces. Chop broccoli into small pieces. Julienne carrots or chop into small pieces
- Saute onions in 1 tbps of butter until onions are clear. Set aside.
- In a large stock pot melt 1/4 cup butter.
- Once butter is melted add flour, mix for 3 minutes.
- Slowly add in half and half. Make sure you keep mixing the whole time.
- Slowly add in chicken stock. Making sure you keep mixing the whole time.
- Let simmer on low heat for 20 minutes or until mixture has thickened. Stirring every 3-5 minutes.
- Add broccoli and carrots. Cook on low for 25 minutes. Stirring every 3-5 minutes.
- Season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Go easy on the nutmeg.
- (Optional) If you like your soup smooth without any chunks place soup in blender and puree. Josh and I like it chunky so we skip this step.
- Add cheese until all the cheese has melted.
- (Optional) Prep your bread. Using a bread knife cut a small whole in the top of the loaf. Pull out top like you would a pumpkin top. Set top aside for eating if you choose.
- Serve warm in bowl or optional bread bowl.
I originally found this recipe http://www.budgetsavvydiva.com/2012/05/copy-cat-panera-bread-broccoli-cheese-soup-recipe/