Thursday night I made these yummy bread sticks. The recipe claims to be similar to Olive Garden's bread sticks and well I think they are pretty close! (Minus my inability to make them actually shaped the same way haha.) I also made this yummy low-cal fettuccine alfredo, unfortunately my kitchen was a mess so I didn't get to snap any shots of it, but it is SOO good...here is a link to the recipe: Low- Cal Fettuccine Alfredo
But here is the recipe for the bread sticks. Originally I found it here.
I halved the recipe because I didn't have 5 cups of flour and I didn't want 24 bread sticks. So here is my version.
Total time: 2 hours Makes 10-12 bread sticks
Dough: 3/4 cups warm water 1 Tbs sugar 1/2 Tbs yeast (or half a packet) 1/2 Tbs salt (don't skip!) 1 Tbs butter, softened 2 1/2 Cups flour
Topping: 1 1/2 Tbs butter melted sea salt 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- To make the dough, pour the water into a stand mixer (I used an electric hand mixer for this) with the sugar and yeast, let that sit and froth for about 10 minutes.
- Add salt, butter, and 1 1/2 cups of flour. Mix the dough on low.
- Add the rest of the flour a half cup at a time, until dough scrapes the sides of the bowl clean. (My hand mixer went crazy here so I had to mix a lot with a sturdy spoon.)
- Mix the dough about 5 minutes on medium speed, until its soft and easy to work with. (If using a hand held electric mixer put down the mixer and knead the dough for 5 minutes instead. To knead fold dough in half over itself and push down with the heal of your palm. Repeat for 5 minutes)
- If your bowl is super messy use a fresh bowl sprayed with cooking spray. Flip dough in once. Cover and let the dough rest in the bowl until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees.
- On a very lightly floured surface roll the dough out into a long log, spray a knife with cooking spray and cut the dough into 6-8 pieces.
- Roll those pieces into about 6 inch long snakes.
- Spray 2 large cookie sheets with cooking spray, ( I usually only use one) and lay the bread sticks out leaving about 2 inches between each one.
- Place them in the 170 degrees oven. Let them rise for about 15 minutes, or until doubled in size.(If your house is warm they can rise at room temperature too.)
- Once risen, remove from oven and preheat oven to 400 degrees. Brush them with the 3/4 tbps of melted butter and sprinkle them with salt.
- Place rolls into the 400 degrees oven and bake them for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown.
- While they are baking combine the rest of the melted butter (3/4 tbps) with 1/2 tsp garlic powder.
- When the bread sticks are golden brown, remove them from the oven and brush them with the butter/garlic mixture.
- Let cool and enjoy!